Skip to main content

Reply to "How much pitching once you have secured an offer"

PABaseball posted:
dadof2ballplayers posted:

My initial thought is to let the high school season  volume dictate the summer volume. He plays at a successful high school program that will be playing good competition over the next 2 years. 

Your initial thoughts are correct. Throw normally for HS, take a small break before the summer season and play summer by ear based on innings. 

What I would be doing now is looking for the strongest travel team he can play for this summer as a PO and getting him used to better competition. Getting him used to seeing college hitters regularly. Even if it's only for guest playing. At this point he should really only be going 3-4 innings for the lengthier tournaments and throwing 5 or 6 for the weekend tournaments. It's not going to be HS where wins and losses really matter all that much it's about getting work and getting better hitters out at this point. 

He has been contacted by some of the higher profile teams for next year. That’s what got me thinking about how much do you let him pitch after a possible heavy high school load. Will just have to see if they would be willing to be flexible with how much he pitches for them if he goes that route.

BASEBALLHS  mentioned the draft that’s a good point to. He has measurables just would need to keep developing and the only way to do that is to pitch against quality competition. Thank you for the advice.