Skip to main content

Reply to "How much pitching once you have secured an offer"

CTbballDad posted:
fenwaysouth posted:

Son committed in late summer as a rising senior.   He only did one PG event (Jupiter in the Fall) after he committed as a favor to his travel coach.   He shut it down in October as he always did.   He resumed throwing in December (no mound work until January) with his  usual winter pitching camp (10 week program) and then pitched his last high school season in the Spring.    D1 college pitching coach sent him a suggested workout routine that included band work, yoga, etc..   Son needed to work ($$$), workout and play baseball over the summer.   American Legion baseball made sense for him and gave him pitching reps as well as plenty of opportunities to hit and play the field..in other words...enjoy baseball with guys he'd only played against previously.   I believe he pitched once a week and he was on a pitch count of 80.   Once Legion was over (early August) he did long toss with me for a couple weeks, threw a bullpen then headed off to college.  

Son followed the same schedule over the years, with the October-Dec shutdown being the most important.  We (OK, I) decided no legion this summer, although we strongly considered it.  Son threw pre-game and just sat in the dugout to hang with his buddies instead.

Playing catch with him now.  Dang, it's a lot scarier than it was a few years ago and it's pathetic how my long toss throws don't reach him on a bounce & roll...

CTbballDad,

Tip of the cap for trying to long toss with him.   Call me lazy, but I stopped trying to do that many moons ago.   My lazy Dad method required two buckets.   One bucket full of balls, and the other bucket empty.   Once my son emptied his bucket, he'd run over to swap his empty bucket with my full bucket.   My only job was to catch the balls with my first baseman's mitt.  This was the extent of my skill set.  ;-)