Skip to main content

Reply to "How much runnig to do for getting into baseball shape?"

I think something is getting lost here.

Without a doubt a pitcher needs conditioning.

Because I suggested that LD running should not be performed does not mean conditioning is not needed.

There are just many better ways, as I listed above.

I highly suggest everyone tries a few rounds of GPP and you will know exactly what I'm talking about. It certainly is hard work. Much, much more difficult than running.

Here's how its done...

Lets compare a pitcher who goes for a 6 mile run. This may take him between 25-35 minutes depending upon his conditioning. It is steady-stae the entire time and an extreme activity of repetitive movement (do you know any runner who has healthy knees, hips and back? It is very rare).

So this picther runs for 30 minutes and is fatigued but what energy system has he trained? One that is similar to demands of a pitcher?

Now let;s compare with General Physical Preparation (GPP)...

It is done in two minute round. Four exercises doen for 30 seconds in circuit fashion.

For example:
Jumping Jacks...30 reps in 30 seconds
Shuffle Splits...30 reps in 30 seconds
Burpees...12-15 reps in 30 seconds
Mountain Climbers...60 reps in 30 seconds
repeat for desired time amount

Now the first two exercises here are the "resting" portion. This is when you learn how to breath and control your own heart rate, but still move. Obviously this is important because all great pitchers (and athletes) know how to control their heart rate in pressure situations. The ones that can't fail. It's as simple as that.

The second two exercises are when you step it up and really challenge your heart rate. This is when conditioning is being developed.

I urge anyone who think running is better (and needed to succeed) to attempt a few rounds of GPP. Most athletes, even conditioned ones, have a hard time with just a few rounds of GPP, let alone 25-35 minutes of it.

Hopefully this clears things up for everyone. I also hope the coaches reading this start to use this ASAP and recognize just how valuable this is.