Skip to main content

Reply to "How old should you be to commit?"

Adbono, many will bash the coach but to me I think the coach did the kid a favor by being honest about his abilities.  Projecting is one of the toughest parts of a coach's job.  It happens at all levels but to know that you have to see where a kid is and look at variables to figure out where a kid COULD be in a few years is tough.  When they don't get there, you have to be the bad guy but you are also being the good guy because I would rather my kid be told he won't be a part of the plan before he gets to a college than after the first fall or first full year.  If you talk to coaches, it is the hardest part of the job and many will not have this conversation until after the first year when they knew it the year before.  They don't want to be the coach known as cutting kids before they get there.

But also know that some times the best in the business get it wrong.  Son was recruited hard by Arkansas and Vitello wanted him when he was their Recruiting Coordinator.  Van Horn, HC, told me face to face after watching son throw a complete game 1 hit shutout with no walks and 16 K's that he did not think he could pitch in the SEC.  Too small and not enough velo.  I will never forget this conversation because we were playing a team that had 5 of his commits on it as hitters.  I told DVH that if son couldn't pitch in SEC those guys couldn't hit in SEC so if son can't pitch he better be recruiting some different hitters.  Really a good conversation and not as tough as it sounds.  We both laughed and he shook son's hand after the game and wished him well.  I really wanted to go ask DVH after last year's game if he missed on that one.  It is a tough job and the ones who are good at it make a lot of money.  But those are very few who are right 75% of the time at the top level.