Skip to main content

Reply to "How's it going for the 2024 HS grads out there?"

I really enjoy reading everyone's journey - for us, like many, its been a marathon now with a bit of a sprint.  HS Coach and baseball types told son he was "D1 material" so focused perhaps too much on that outreach over the summer during travel ball schedule and attending those camps...even had an area code invite which cemented son's D1 beliefs.  Into the fall, coaches more than willing to invite kid to a camp but his performance didn't always match the previously printed metrics (on the 60 in particular... as soon as he started xc season he was unable to notch under 7.0 much to his chagrin.)  A couple of schools gave him the "we will call you this week" as he left their camps - we were all sailing high until that week turned a little longer and the coach ultimately said they wanted to watch him more this spring, which strikes me as particularly unlikely as they have their own seasons to attend to but 17 year olds don't always know when they are being broken up with?  Lots of life lessons here regarding communication and trust and the process that goes into building organizations, with many opportunities to discuss what are realistic goals for the next four years and beyond while not stifling dreams completely.  He has had both Juco and D3 including HAD3 offers, just made his decision for a HAD3 that I think is a great fit academically and athletically, with what appear to be truly decent people at the helm.  Thanks to all of HSBaseball Web for the regular stream of advice and counsel....