Skip to main content

Reply to "How's it going for the 2024 HS grads out there?"

@PTWood posted:

@SomeBaseballDad my son's times were 6.7 at PG Nationals and 6.54 at East Coast Pro. It garnered him nice offers from multiple P5 schools. He went pro instead. Across 4 levels of MiLB (Rookie ball, A, A+ and AA) play he played 152 games out of 231 in center field. I am not disagreeing with what you have heard and I don't mean to brag but I also do not want people on this board to be completely discouraged by your comment. I know things have changed since 2021 but not that much. Out of curiosity, I pulled up TN 2024 recruiting class and while there are several sub 6.5s, I also saw several position players north of 6.9 (including OF and SS).

First, TN isn't going to put a 6.9 in the OF. SS maybe but not OF. And even at SS I'd assume he excels because 6.9 running the bases isn't a plus.

My post was never meant to be discouraging. We were told coming up "rake and you'll play". My son took that too much to heart and was reluctant to work on speed. I can assure you he regrets that now. In this day and age if it doesn't come naturally a speed and agility coach is as important as a hitting coach. The time you can take off that 60 is as important as the percentage you can add to your BA.

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad