Skip to main content

Reply to "How's it going for the 2024 HS grads out there?"

@fenwaysouth posted:

You mention that his teammates have received offers or already committed to a school.  Is this high school teammates or travel teammates?  Did the high school coach or travel coach advocate for your son as well as the others?  Did you ask the high school or travel coach to help you reach out to college coaches?  Does your son play a competitive travel schedule where college coaches are in attendence watching your team and the opponents team?  PBR/PG showcases numbers don't mean much unless college coaches can validate them, and they really need to do that in person.   Every school that offered my son had seen him play at least twice.  Most were three times.

Had a busy night, so I'm slow in responding.

The teammates are both from HS and travel...and even HS teammates of the travel teammates.

Both coaches have and do advocate, however, the down side is that they don't have a wide network and are relatively young. I also believe that sometimes they have promoted too many and sometimes that can backfire.

My son played a competitive travel schedule summer between soph and junior year. However, that did not produce many college coaches in attendance. Apparently the previous summers, before covid, the same tournaments were well attended. Covid and the transfer portal changed up the landscape I believe. Fall junior year was only in front of college coaches because that's who they played. However, the majority of the colleges he played weren't high on his list of potential schools (due to not having the right academic program).

Because my son wasn't far off that and all we heard was "too slow".

That's disappointing to hear. I feel those words didn't provide you and your son with meaningful feedback. Honestly when we're talking tenths/hundredths of a second, that is certainly "not far off". But maybe it was his start, maybe endurance, or possibly his form. It would have been nice for them to clarify for you. I know in the OF you could have a 6.5 60 runner, but a 6.8 60 runner might be "faster" on the field if they have better ball reading ability and the running path they choose to take to the ball is more direct.

I meant to post last night, but my son received an offer to a Juco he's very interested in. Spent the evening coordinating childcare for my other children so we can visit campus, finding a flight, and doing further research about the school. So far the school checks off almost all the boxes....just wish it was closer. That's what I assume most parents would say, but I'm glad he's been given an opportunity.