Skip to main content

Reply to "How seriously to take this coach email?"

Chico Escuela posted:
cabbagedad posted:
anotherparent posted:

...My suggestion is for your son to ask to talk to the coach about his interest, before committing to go to the camp.  If they are seriously interested, wouldn't they do this?

Yup, that's what I was thinking.

I suggested to my son that he ask to arrange a call. His take was that the coach isn’t going to tell him they aren’t really interested. True, but I do think one could make some judgements based on how the call went (though my teenaged son is admittedly not great at reading subtle social cues). 

Yes, but he could learn (1) if the coach is willing to get on the phone with him and start to establish a little bit of a relationship; (2) how many pitcher spots they have remaining; (3) whether his transcript/test scores cleared the bar (assuming he has sent them already). Worth the time, in my view. 

My son had a somewhat similar late-breaking situation with a D1 school in New England that reached out to him in May of junior year. Hadn't responded to previous emails from my son, apologized for being so late, blah, blah, blah, wanted him to come to a camp in early June. Other side of the country for us. Not a cheap trip. This school has extremely high academic standards, so my son asked -- at my insistence -- the coach to take his transcript/test scores to admissions and make sure that they passed muster. Once we got word back that they did -- and, no joke, admissions reportedly said something along the lines of "they wouldn't if he were a regular student, but as a recruited athlete they do," lol -- I sprung for the trip. He didn't end up there, but I think it's fair to gather as much information as you can, beforehand.

Edited to add: CabbageDad beat me to it.

Last edited by 2019Dad