Skip to main content

Reply to "How seriously to take this coach email?"

I think your son should absolutely call and get a feel if this coach "really" saw him and liked what he saw, or if this was a "fishing" letter to get people in camp.

With technology today, these generated letters are getting more and more personal to where it sounds like it is a "real" email.  For example, my younger son is a lacrosse player and was going to several recruiting tournaments and showcases.  For each of these tournaments, you provided your cell phone and email address.  He would get tons of emails that mentioned him by name, where they saw him, that they liked what they saw (some even got specific with things like "loved your off ball movement", etc.) but as you read them closer, you could tell they were generated....or as he would talk to friends he would find out they got the exact same email.  The kicker was when he got one of these "generically specific" emails that talked about him and finished with "you were one of the best midfielders we saw this weekend"....my son plays defense (with a long pole)....he just happened to get the generated "midfielder" email.

Anyway, if there is true interest I am sure he would be able to discern that by talking with the HC or RC.  Try to find out "specifically" what they liked about him.  At the very least, he could get a feel whether he "likes" the coach or not and would want to play for him (not all college coaches are created equal).

Good luck!