Skip to main content

Reply to "How seriously to take this coach email?"

Chico Escuela posted:
Cece posted:

I have a question regarding the showcase. Where all the coaches listed actually at the showcase? There is a long list on the Showball website of colleges that have committed to go but I am wondering if they are all actually there and watching. If so, do they walk around talking to the kids or just off watching on the side. Thanks in advance for any insight!

A few coaches may have missed the event, but most were there.  (I didn't notice any absences.)  The coaches do watch and take notes, and in some cases will pull a player aside to talk.  I agree that there are more chances for interaction between coaches and players at HF.  This is great experience for players, so they can to get used to approaching coaches, but your son may end up talking with schools that have no interest in him.  (Lines always seem to be longest for Duke, Vanderbilt and the Ivies, but very few kids are on their radars.)

The other main differences I noticed are: 1) At HF pitchers throw on consecutive days.  That can be hard on arms, IMO.  (Although I hear they may have changed this for 2019.)  2) Showball Academic is almost exclusively head coaches.  They claim that is a big advantage--it may be; I don't know.  3) HF provides several info sessions for parents and players. I thought these were pretty good; my teenaged son who knows everything said he didn't care for all the talking.  Showball has a brief Q&A with coaches for parents, but generally is just baseball.

A search will turn up some other recent threads about Showball and HF.  Both are an efficient way to be seen by a lot of coaches.  I would just compare the lists of coaches and each and go with the program that has the most schools your son is interested in.

Thank you very much for the response. It was very helpful!