Skip to main content

Reply to "How short is too short?"

Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:

Not sure how this message is supposed to be helpful or encouraging to the young man the OP is posting for.  Talent and effort are huge pieces of the equation.  MANY short players make it and it is because they have talent and effort and are willing to overcome any obstacles they face, just as other successful players do.  To suggest otherwise to this young man is just wrong.

Well, hopefully that young man won’t do what you did and stop without reading the whole thing. My whole point was that clichés are crapola, and what Rick said was spot on, and even bballman agrees with that!

I said nothing negative, but hopefully pointed out to him a “proactive” plan than just counting on the talent to rise to the top.

Stats, of course I read the whole thing.  No where do you point out a proactive plan. 

I too agree with Rick and bballman.  Their messages come off as positive encouragement.  i.e. - "today there is a coach who is thrilled to have..", "if the talent is there, there will be a place...", "find the coach..", "control what you can..".  I also agree with the others here who have pointed out some of the many short players who did have the talent and heart, didn't settle on excuses and were successful.

Your post comes off as negative with the implied message that talent and heart will not be enough, that "donkey" coaches will only look for those who fit the mold.  While, in some instances, there may be a degree of truth to that, I don't think that is the message that puts this young man in the best position to strive for success.  That's just me.

Last edited by cabbagedad