Skip to main content

Reply to "How short is too short?"

This is the reason I signed up here   I am so frustrated that baseball is lagging behind especially at high school and youth levels.  There is pure science, physics and data available for all to see.  Opinions are exactly what I want to get away from.  It is not my opinion that the average height for an mlb pitcher is just over 6'2".  That is a fact.  Not my opinion that the average male height is still about 5'10" (and you can even find some sources that say 5'9").  Now I am sure that if you pull out your probability and statistics text books this difference would be well over..  and I mean well over any standard deviation.  So you now are left only with the multibillion dollar industry known as mlb doesn't know what they are doing??  Is that really the ground you want to stand  on?  I challenge anyone on here to produce any reliable study showing that sub 6'0" pitchers at the amateur level throw just as hard as say 6'3" and above pitchers.  Remember there is a certain minimum velocity you need to achieve to even get to the major league level.  So naturally all major leaguers are fairly close in velocity or they wouldnt be there!!  But even then if you look at the whole league and not a sample size of five or six there is about a 1.5 mph difference COLLECTIVELY between the shortest group of pitchers and the tallest.  And 1.5 is still significant.  Bit again common sense tells you that if height didn't matter like society as a whole the vast majority of mlb pitchers would be under 6'2".  Does anyone here really want to step up and say mlb has a height bias?  Do you know how silly that would sound?