Skip to main content

Reply to "How short is too short?"

So...  basically you tell your son the same thing I tell the 5'9" pitcher on my team...  work harder and you can do it!  One major difference is I am talking college not mlb.  Listen everybody hates the big guy and I just get sick of it.  Its not fair those little point guards are so darn quick!  But thats just the way it is.  I could point out famous exceptions by saying " well magic johnson played point and he was 6'9".  Or we can all accept the obvious and realize most point guards are smaller and quicker - quicker being the more important.  If they could find a lot of 6'9" guys with that quickness all point guards would be 6'9"!  My son is white.  Immediately that gives him very little chance to play in the nba.  Just a fact.  I don't think it has anything to do with the nba being bias against white kids.  My kid is also not quick.  Now his chances at.the nba are so miniscule as to not really even exist.  Should I encourage him to pursue a dream of playing in the nba?  I suppose that is an opinion.  Mine is NO.  I want to encourage my son in something he can succeed in.  If your son is 5'8" and he can throw 95mph then great.  If he is 16 and has not yet hit 75mph...  well that has to be your decision but I might start at least preparing him for another path.