Skip to main content

Reply to "How Strong Are D1 Baseball Players?"

Go44dad posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

Just make sure there is very close monitoring going on. 

My son's first PC went D1, he had the dietician and the trainer.  It turned out that their plan for him backfired.  When he gained weight he lost velo.  Thankfully they had a close eye on him, saw the trend, and were able to reverse it.  However, had he been with a less knowledgeable staff, say at a high school weight room where you get ONE plan and are just supposed to carry it out, things could have gone very badly.

Let’s say you want to make sure there is very close monitoring (perhaps by dressing like a janitor with a big Luigi mustache?).  And you determine that the workout and monitoring is insufficient. What is the next step?

“Mom, is that you?”

I think that’s out of parental hands. What is in parents control is teaching son proper lifting technique for the basic lifts, most likely from a professional trainer. And to teach him to grunt, shake, shriek loudly and make bug eyes when at 85% of max lift. 

The next step is hiring someone who has a clue....which is about as far from me on weight lifting as a 6u kid is from MLB (but don't tell his parents...SHHHHH!)