Skip to main content

Reply to "How to Commit Long Distance"

California is a great place to play, attend college, and live. 

Where do you start? First, you've got the grades and assuming your scores (will) match you've cleared the academic hurdle (true for every other D1 in the country also, btw). If you haven't sat for the ACT/SAT, prepare hard to get a score which matches your grades.

For recruiting, Cali D1s may view video, but the D1s won't recruit off of it - each needs eyes on you. So, you need to find out which events the coaches recruit from. The Stanford Camp is well attended - and for you, the out-of-state HA colleges attending are a bonus.

It seems as if your under minimal financial pressure and a soph, so attending that school's prospect camp may be a good idea this summer. While no one recruits off of "demonstrated interest," it is a statement to the HC that you in fact traveled cross-country to speak to him. Also, it will give you an idea whether the image about the school and Cali matches what you'll experience.  (Personally, I'd try to attend Stanford camp AND this college camp AND think about attending the Headfirst Cali camp also. This would require a lot of planning and perhaps a family vacation could be built around it.)

Both my kids attended East Coast colleges and neither was homesick, minded the weather, or the distance. (In fact, S - because of summer college ball - didn't return home for over a full year.) Both matured outside Mom and Dads withering attention - and it was well worth it to us that they do that far away!

No one knows if your velo will plateau or increase. So, unless I know the college I can't tell you the velo needed, but assume Stanford looks at sitting 90, University of San Diego looks at sitting 88, UCSD (moving to D1) looks at 87. AND, Cali is full of guys throwing those speeds.

Unlike, e.g., an Ivy, Cali schools don't generally recruit nationally because they dont need to; but, if the right recruit presents himself in front of their eyes, they don't care where you're from - if you have the goods. 

Good luck and cast a wider net; your grades (and hopefully scores) give you lots of options - couple with a 90+ FB and you'll have potential options about which you may have not yet contemplated.