Skip to main content

Reply to "How to deal with son deciding not to pursue college baseball"

I dealt with this last year.  2016 had a few nice opportunities to play and he was starting to be indecisive... I asked him why that was...  he said he was second guessing weather he wanted a full time job (college athlete) while being a college student and not being able to be involved in a frat, and finally have down time to hang out and get involved in other things when he's not studying.

When I heard this, it was obvious he wasn't happy and baseball had come to an end.  I want my kid to be happy and move on with other opportunities.  This was a release for me as well, there is more to life than just baseball.   We had been working together with his baseball since he was 7....

I now had more time to think about other things: golf and skiing.

Qualifier: I still have one more kid playing (2018), so I'm only half out of baseball.  But his decision forced me to wake up and consider baseball is phasing out.

My 2016 is loving college... doing well as a student, involved in a frat, and involved with business school activities...  Son made the right decision for himself.  

(Edited to add note that because you deleted your original post your situation may have been different than mine....)

Last edited by Gov