Skip to main content

Reply to "How to deal with son deciding not to pursue college baseball"

I guess you can never say it is over until your son picks his school, puts down the deposit, and then shows up in the Fall of 2017 with no intent to play baseball for the college (hopefully he will consider playing club ball as a hobby).  Maybe he has a great senior season and the team wins and he starts thinking about it again.  Or maybe he really has made up his mind and never goes back.

This thread is a reminder to those of us that do have kids focused on playing in college that it does not fit every kid.  But the one thing I always mention to my son's friends who are good enough to play a sport in college but decide not to is that they do not realize now what it means when it is over.  I gave up baseball in high school to focus on basketball, and then gave up a chance to play D3 basketball in college.  I've regretted both decisions my whole life.  Intramurals is not the same.  17 year old kids just do not have the life perspective to understand how limited the window is in their life to play a sport for their school.  I wonder if some of these kids will someday wish they had decided differently and played through college.