Skip to main content

Reply to "How to deal with son deciding not to pursue college baseball"

Agreed Backstop. This thread has brought on several thoughts.... I played a different sport in college, but I remember the exact time and place when it donned on me freshman year in college that one major difference between HS and D1 college sports was that in HS, my coach was getting paid a minimal stipend to coach above his normal teaching pay grade, while my college coach was there to coach only and was paid to win... period.  His job depended on it. In conjunction with realizing that there was going to be continuous competition each year for roster spots and playing time, and the expectation of continually bringing it at all times for 4 years, it was easy to figure out each year who would remain and who would go. I saw great talent fade away because they couldn't compete each and every day, make 6 am weights, and/or forego parties to keep eligible.

Above and beyond talent, it takes a very determined and committed individual to play and stick at the collegiate level. I think many are setting the goal of getting to college. That's only half the battle. I'm here to say that getting a school or coach to provide you the privilege to participate in college athletics is the much easier part of the equation than actually enduring and thriving while there.