Skip to main content

Reply to "How to deal with son deciding not to pursue college baseball"

Tribal posted:
RKBH posted:
joes87 posted:
RKBH posted:

Update on my son who decided a few months ago not to pursue college baseball. He has been accepted to the 4 colleges he applied to. 3 private schools, all 3 gave him from $18,000 to $26,000 academic scholarship $$. 1 was a Presidential Scholarship.   We have 1 more to apply to a Patriot League school.  He will have lots of opportunities to study abroad. At one school the tour guide was a senior soccer player and he said his 1 regret was not being able to study abroad due to his soccer schedule.  That clinched my sons decision knowing that he made the right decision.     Baseball is going to end someday for most of these kids and the trials and tribulations of going through the recruiting process with coaches who play games calling, not calling etc etc etc. best wishes to everyone going through the process.   

Similar thing with my son, who decided not to play college baseball.  Very high GPA and a good (high 20's, just could not get over the hump to 30), but not great, ACT score.  Accepted at all the college's he applied to and has been offered around $20,000 to $30,000 in academic money to attend all the schools he's applied to.  He made his college choice the first day of his Sr. year as he received an acceptance to his #1 choice along with a good scholarship offer, with some more to come according to the school.  Funny thing is, this is the only school where the baseball coach flat out told him that there is no room for him on their team.  Anyway, not worrying about the baseball recruiting stuff and having his college picked at the start of his Sr. year has allowed him to really relax and have some fun this year.  

Good to hear my son is not alone.  I can certainly sympathize with the parents who say they will miss it.  But I have Sr. year and then Legion this summer.  I will be making it my goal to find a child of a friend that I can go watch play baseball when I am able.  I think that will be my therapy...and help me to ease out of watching.  I enjoy the kids...love to see their little personalities come out when they play.     I hope my son gets more $$$...but what he has gotten is good.  Waiting for 1 more school to reply and then the Patriot League school - app due Jan 1st.  He should have 6 schools to choose from.  Just want him to be happy and thrive in college and follow his dream, whatever that may be.  This site is great - appreciate all of the support.

You are not alone... that's why I started this thread..I am trying to figure out how to deal with it..

I will say one thing that I think I have learned.  While my son is a pretty good player, he is not great.  Does not hit homeruns, etc.  BUT what I have learned watching other kids is that they are more aggressive than my son.  He is a quiet child and I think that shows to coaches who do not know him (aka college coaches) .  Only a few times has his "fire in his belly" been shown at showcases or college camps.  I think that is why he was having trouble getting interest from college coaches.  The coaches who were interested were able to see his "fire" but just not enough for him to be their #1 recruit - #3 at best when they were only recruiting 1 position play or none.    I have learned a lot through this process.  The other thing is that we picked the colleges and the pursued those coaches.  If a fairly good player is OK playing anywhere, it is easier to get recruited.    In the end it does matter which college you attend as far as career opportunities, etc  - especially for the high GPA, SAT and ACT student.  Done with my little soap box for now....again best wishes and keep me posted on where your son ends up.  It will be OK - there are plenty of things to do on campus for athletes - lots of intermural or club sports depending on the size of the school.  My son is looking forward to int. basketball, soccer, softball or club baseball if they have it and he can make the team.