Skip to main content

Reply to "how to decide the college level where a player "fits"?"

My son & I discussed this topic a little this week.

This winter as a Sophomore he is going to start out with a list of about 50 schools.  15 schools where he knows he can play (i.e. The perennial loser D3 a half mile from our house, local low level in state JUCO's etc), 25 schools at the level that his travel program director thinks he is currently projecting towards (this is important, getting qualified objective opinions from someone who isn't immediate family) and 10 schools that are Dream Schools (LSU etc).

Then once he attends a PG or PBR Showcase in the spring he'll have a web link with his measureables to send out to coaches, and he can begin the process of contacting coaches.  And when time allows we'll visit some campuses, and take in a game or two.  And yes attend a few camps.

We already started visiting campuses in the last few weeks on Travel Ball weekends (Illinois & Valparaiso).  I want him to visit dozens of campuses over the next few years so he can really get a feel for what he likes and doesn't like in terms of college campuses.

We'll adjust the lists over time if his skill level increases or based on interest or lack of interest from coaches.

Last edited by 3and2Fastball