Skip to main content

Reply to "how to decide the college level where a player "fits"?"

Chico Escuela posted:
PlayWithEffort posted:

The NCSA website has a breakdown by position and by level of play. 

https://www.ncsasports.org/rec...nes/baseball-pitcher

This link is for pitchers. The menu on the left will allow you to change the positions that you can reference as a guideline.

Thanks.  I had seen that a while back, but it's good to have the link again.

Does the hsbaseballweb community generally agree with this chart?  And if so, at what point in HS would you say these metrics apply--sophomore HS season?  summer after junior year?   

The "nationally recognized travel team" metric on the chart is an interesting one...  In my experience, unless you happen to live in the right town, signing up for a big-time travel team means playing with a group of teammates you see only on tournament weekends and don't practice with.  My son insists he doesn't want to do that--he wants to have regular practices and to know the guys he plays with.  I understand most folks recommend playing with and against the best competition possible, but I have to admit I never saw much appeal in the just-show-up-for-games model. 

There are teams that are national/regional that do practice every day. Their players are from several different states. It will require your player to live with a host family. They do play the big events. Son did this and it was the best thing for him.  Feel free to pm me if you would like to know more about his experience