Skip to main content

Reply to "how to decide the college level where a player "fits"?"

Chico, I agree with Roadrunner but they are few and far between.  It takes a special kid to do the work away from the field, but in reality most of the national high level teams do not have time to practice.  They are not playing in the weekend tournaments but the week long tournaments and playing back to back.  Once they get up and going, there is little time to practice.  The pitchers throw their bullpens at the field during a game they are not pitching.  the fielders get their time in during games and before games.  When they are home, they have to do the work themselves which one scout told me is a good sign of a top D1 player anyways. 

A couple of scouts told me they were impressed that my son had played on several teams that were not near us, which told me they had read his PG page, which some here believe does not happen.  They also said it took some of the fear of the kid moving away from home and being on his own away from them as scouts.  They knew he could relate to kids he did not know.

I would suggest every kid wanting to play away from home and at a high level have to play on a team at some point where they did not know anyone.  It is a reality check. 

THe Royals SCout Team tries to replicate P5 world and minor league for their players.  They make the kids stay with them and they assign roommates.  They encouraged us as parents to let our players learn life on their own and see if it is really what they want.  We never travelled with him and never stayed at the team motel.  Great experience.  I knew after the past two summers that whatever the future brings he will be able to handle himself.  He drove 4 hours to Atlanta four times this year by himself, drove 10 hours to West Palm Beach by himself and flew to Arizona from Charlotte by himself through Atlanta on the way out and Detroit on the way back.  It was tough on mom and I but I know he can take on the world.  I just have to be here when he stumbles.