Skip to main content

Reply to "how to decide the college level where a player "fits"?"

Chico Escuela posted:

I appreciate the info about some types of travel teams I didn’t know existed. For the kid who wants to do it, sounds like a great experience. Mentioned it to my son, and he said “no way.”

Don't take this the wrong way but that also helps you as a dad point him in the right directions.  I had concerns because when mine was offered, we were 13 hours away and could not afford to fly back and forth every weekend.  After making the first summer with Royals, I knew he would be fine.  We have since moved 3 hours away from University of Tennessee so much better but still far enough away.  I think these experiences help us know what direction to point our sons when it comes to distance from home and having friends on the team.  I have this conversation with parents all the time.  I believe it is more of a concern than most of us would think when you look at the numbers that don't make it after one year.  I believe being away from home and in a competitive environment is greater than we think.  I know of several players who were drafted that did not make it a year because of homesick.  it is a great concern of recruiters in college and even pro teams pre-draft.  We have a friend who made it to the bigs and got homesick when he had his children and walked away.  My son asked him if he regretted it and he said yes and no.