Skip to main content

Reply to "how to decide the college level where a player "fits"?"

2019Dad posted:
57special posted:

Once you decide to go the HA  route, you eliminate 95% of the competition. I know of two kids who committed to Ivies who topped out at 88 and 87 ...both good pitchers. Another Service Academy guy who tops out at 88, sits at 82-5. Nice curve.

Another mid major guy(not HA) who regularly throws his 4 seam at 88, and has been recorded by a legit site at 91. 6'4", great pitcher coming into his own with 4 legit pitches. don't see how a P5 isn't sniffing around him.

All these guys know how to pitch and have very good control. I find the lack of attention paid to control/pitching IQ odd. You can do so much with it...

Yup, but the problem is, you eliminate 95% of the options, too -- if you're aiming for HA, that means no JC route, virtually all D2s aren't an option, and 85-90% of D1s aren't either. So aiming for HA is a blessing and a curse.

You're right! I guess I see things through the lens of my HA 2018. I find that the HA teams, in general, tend to be less of a rat race than the overall recruiting game. I know many kids going to non HA JC's, D2's, and D1's. It's hard work, with a lot of turnover. Getting an education is hard at those places.

As for other topics...I get tired of watching "raw players" get innings. Ya, they're 6'6", or can run a 6.6, or throw 92 (once, somewhere). Watching the endless SO's with no pitch recogntion, lack of defensive acumen, or ability to walk less than 3 players per inning gets REALLY tiresome.

Last edited by 57special