Skip to main content

Reply to "How to Decide Which Camps to Attend?"

@NotMadeOf$$ posted:

Son is doing HeadFirst session 5, Aug 2-3.

Doesn't the HC (especially at HA D3) have to see the player in-person before an offer?  In other words, if an assistant is at HeadFirst, then almost certainly no slot will be offered without the HC's eyes too.

That's at least what all of these individual camps suggest, "this is how to get in front of our ENTIRE staff," e.g.

Not necessarily.  But that's what they may want you to think.

In 2018 (and I assume still today), Headfirst made a video of each player, and gave it to the schools who were there (and also sold it to players - we did NOT buy it).  So the HCs can see video of the players their assistants like.  The coaches got the video about 2 weeks after the camp, and I think my son got interest and offers at the end of August/early September from at least a couple of HCs whose assistants had been at the camp, who said they had seen the video.

EDITED TO ADD:  yes, they still do it, and they even say, "Regardless of which coach is in attendance, every coach at our partner programs will have access to the game film provided by NextPro – so when a coach pulls up your video, you have the eyes of the entire coaching staff on YOU."  Headfirst does know how to sell their service.

@NotMadeOf$$ posted:

Have also been taking this advice from a HeadFirst webinar: when a camp invite comes from a school that my son is potentially interested in, he emails the coach and explains that we have limited time and resources (can't attend ALL camps of course), but would like to speak with coach on the phone before signing up (our goal is to gauge their level of interest before laying down the money).  So far, that approach has only yielded one of those two aforementioned camp attendances.

This seems like good advice to me.

Last edited by anotherparent