Skip to main content

Reply to "How to decide?"

A couple of things. School is important, would never argue it isn't. That said I'd guess 50-60%+ of the people I know are working in a field other than what they majored in. A majority of those would assert they put a lot of thought into their major but things changed. So picking the right school over the right coach/program might end up being the best decision one will ever make. Could also be one's biggest regret. 

As to baseball, now having gone through this, I'd say that fit is #1. How the coach thinks the game should be played and how your game/skillset match that. 9AND7DAD made a great point about the HC/RC. My son's HC is who he was, his RC turned out to be Jekyll and Hyde. My son's school recruited him because he "kills" baseballs (HC's words), then spent last year playing small ball. Coach told the kid at the end of the year they have big plans for him but at this point I'm left scratching my head as to why they recruited him. I've seen the same thing in some of the kids my son came up playing baseball with. They were recruited by schools, never saw the field, and left. Facilities and all that matter, but the coaching staff will determine the experience. 

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad