Skip to main content

Reply to "How to Gain Weight"

@InnerPro posted:

@Miller2020 first a disclaimer...Your Personal Trainer knows your son and his needs better than we do. Just wanted to mention this because we are in no way advocating for change. We are advocating to ask questions....always.

You mentioned, "he seems very focused on not building too much upper body strength since he is a baseball player." When you look at your son, do you think this approach applies to him?  Some things to consider:

• Is my son's upper body strength/mass approaching a limit where on-field performance is negatively impacted due to a lack of range of motion?
  • If my son lifted more to add size, could he add in more upper body mobility work to make sure he maintains his range of motion to maximize on-field performance?
  • Am I satisfied with the results my son is getting from the current strategy?
  • Am I seeing a return on my investment here?

These are always tough questions, especially the last two, but the fact of the matter is every parent who has a son who aspires to play the next level is not only competing against other players for those scholarship dollars, but they are competing against time. There is a finite development window and time/effort/money are assets that can't be wasted. There has to be a return on these investments. The clock never stops ticking.

Lastly, always remember, each player is unique with different needs, at different times of the year.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much.  This makes a lot of sense.  I think he could get much stronger before limiting his field performance.  I will have a conversation with his trainer to make sure we outline what is best for him.  you are so right, time is getting closer!