Skip to main content

Reply to "How to Gain Weight"

my 2022 has had major problems gaining weight. He has been stuck at 6'1", 165 for one year now. Lifts 4-5 times per week. He is strong , but lean. He used to have huge meals, but then would spend forever on the toilet, and couldn't seem to gain.  Finally has started to have a big breakfast. 3-4 eggs and a large amount of oatmeal with bananas or other fruit in it. Glass of milk. His goal is to ingest 3000 calories/day. If he doesn't, he simply won't be able to put on weight. He is naturally lean...strong, but lean. If he didn't have ambitions to be an athlete then i would be fine with him staying just the way he is.

When i was his age I weighed the same or even less, then went to work on a dairy farm. Would wake up at 4 am, have a quick slice of bread, then milk and feed. Would come back in at about 9am, and eat about 6-8 eggs, 6-8 pieces of toast, maybe some ham or bacon. Depending on the time of year, would go out to work with a sandwich, as I was often out in the fields and didn't have time to come back. Would have a snack before afternoon milking and feeding, then a big dinner around 8pm. Sometimes had to work afterwards. It was a lot of work, and lot of food. I shot up to 180 in 6 months.

Some of my son's teammates have no problem putting on weight, and are already close to 200 lbs. When they hit the ball it simply goes farther. My son will be lucky to get to 180 lb by the time he is a HS senior, but if he gets to that he will be an impressive blend of speed and power. Pitching is a whole different story. I think that weight gain helps there, also, but I know of quite a few kids who can really sling it, and they are skinny as hell.