Skip to main content

Reply to "How to Gain Weight"

Revisiting this topic. It is become a topic of daily discussion in our household. We are still trying to get weight on my son, rising junior 6'1" 165lbs. I have even laid down a challenge for him that if he gains 15lbs by next high school season I would buy him a new glove.  Problem is that he gets full so quickly that it makes his stomach hurt if he keeps eating and then when that happens, it puts him off from trying to eat large quantities. One thing that we have find that he does seem to like is we found a recipe to recreate the Jamba Juice Orange Dream Machine smoothie. Instead of using soy milk in the ingredients, we have been using vanilla protein shakes.

I was talking with his fitness trainer about a couple of kids who have come through our high school program the past couple of years. One was a recent first round draft pick and another who is currently in college will probably be a high pick. If you look at their freshman year pictures to their senior year pictures, it is a big difference. They put on around 25-30 pounds. The trainer told me that the boys were taking creatine, whey protein, and BCAA's. I am not sold on going to that extreme, but am open to any suggestions right now.

In reading through some old threads on the forum about weight gain and supplements, one of the posts that caught my attention was one that suggested look at the GNC MASS XXX as an option for high schoolers. It has a high amount of calories and protein, and minimal amounts of creatine and BCAA. So a little bit more conservative than other similar products. Anyone have any experience with that product?

I think the next step is to also try to create an eating schedule/check list for him. List different options for each eating time and have him mark off that he ate and what he ate at each time. But I am worried if that is going a little too far and being a little too controlling. His mom seems to think that if he had a schedule and checklist that he would be more prone to eat more often because it is laid out for him. His mom said remember he is a teenager with a girlfriend. You have to lay everything out step by step if you want it to get done. (LOL, like chores).