Skip to main content

Reply to "How To Get By In The Minors On $1,500 A Month"

From what I've been able to piece together, the article seems to pick a relatively "cozy" 7 days for a player in a low cost area.  I have a feeling that the particular week chosen does not simply repeat itself 52x year and the guy socks away $10k in savings every year.  Getting 2 meals free every day is the exception as is the absence of clubhouse dues.  What happens when one of the roommate guys gets sent up or released (could be the guy paying the cable bill) - that's got to hurt.  Any amount set aside for electricity and water - are both included in the rent?  Then there are the unpaid weeks (spring training) and the off season where these guys are trying to secure seasonal jobs while having to pay for gym memberships and all of their meals.  I got a feeling these same four guys aren't all going to be spending their offseason in Augusta.

I would not go so far as to say Single A ball ought to pay enough to raise a family, but something like abolishing clubhouse dues across the board AND providing 14 meals/week should be standard - especially when factoring in the benefits of a solid diet.  Also think there should be significant housing support - something along the lines of subsidized corporate housing where individual players don't end up having to sign leases.  Given them some options and charge the player a reasonable amount - maybe even have them one to a bedroom.  Charge them rent weekly (payroll deduction) but let them walk away when needed and not have their departure place a burden on the remaining roommates.  

Final observation - the guy can survive in Augusta, GA without a car - pretty amazing.  Also guess he didn't use his Tracfone that week.

Last edited by 2017LHPscrewball