Skip to main content

Reply to "How To Get By In The Minors On $1,500 A Month"

2020dad posted:

I will tell you this - I sure as heck don't have $30 or $33 a day leftover after my bills!  Four kids at home. I would kill for that kind of money. If a young single guy can't live on $1500 a month there is something seriously wrong. 

I don't think $30 a day is leftover. That $ would include food, gas, insurance, phone, possibly heat/ac, any kinds of school loans, credit cards, clothing, etc. That being said, I know lots of folks that live on less than $1500 a month. They just don't have much luxuries.

What I think is the shame (and wrong) is during spring training and any other expected baseball times, that they are not paid for their time. My son, the college player, works out roughly 20-30 hours a week to get / stay in baseball condition to compete for his spot. He does have time for a 25-30 hours summer job. I'm thinking the same thing for the guys in MiLB to tide them over. But the season is only 5-6 month long when they are getting paid. But there is another 3 where they are expected to be somewhere for the team (spring training, etc) and should be paid for that, because during that time they cannot get another job.