Skip to main content

Reply to "How To Get By In The Minors On $1,500 A Month"

CaCO3Girl posted:

if they get a signing bonus and can live off that for a bit great!  If they can't mom/dad/grandpa/grandma is footing over half the bills...it's like a really long college program.  I don't plan on cutting my kids off when they turn 18, if they need a phone, clothing, or food I don't have a problem keeping them on my phone plan or sending them a wal-mart giftcard where they can buy food and underwear...I just hope they don't put them in the same bag...*shudder*

Our younger son signed for very little.  23rd round college senior draft pick.  No leverage.  He used most of his signing bonus for a down payment on a used vehicle.  We co-signed for him, but we've never made one payment.  Even though we have the means, we haven't succumbed to that parental temptation.  Haven't paid for his phone or car insurance, gas, food...anything.  He got a speeding ticket - he paid.  His phone broke, he figured out how to get it fixed.  In the off season he worked 60 hours a week to save up for the season.  In fact, we told him while we wouldn't let him lay in a ditch if he fell in, we don't plan to pay for anything.

I think twice we sent him $200 just as a gift.  Once in Spring Training when they don't get paid.  He didn't expect it, nor ask for it....we just did it to give him a small break.  He is learning to be a real, independent, self-sufficient adult.  Its good.

He graduated from college with great grades and a good degree and had multiple job offers.  He wanted to pursue pro baseball for $1200/month.  His choice.  I applaud him.  But the choice needs to be clear for him to not pursue this too long if it isn't going well - or to keep going if he loves it enough.  We don't want him hanging on just because.

He's a great son - if anyone has 'earned' the right to get stuff from mom and dad - its him.  But he doesn't even want it.  And he is learning all about budgeting, life and choices. Our society is getting a strong, self sufficient, hard working, kind and good young man out of the other end of this.  I'm so darned proud of him - it would be hard to describe.  He knows that. We have a terrific relationship.  Its all good.  He will be fine.

Last edited by justbaseball