Skip to main content

Reply to "How To Get By In The Minors On $1,500 A Month"

Nuke83 posted:
real green posted:

I think a big part that we are missing is the fact that we are talking about young men with little responsibility.  They are given the chance to play a game.  When I was that age I was chasing adrenaline making just enough money to ski daily through the winter and mountian bike through the summer.  

I get what you're saying, but these guys are pursuing their career and earning a living in their desired career path.  Not working gigs between summer biking and winter skiing.  You are basically describing partying a couple of years before getting serious about pursuing your career vs. the actual undertaking of trying to make a living.  At some point you stopped chasing adrenaline and settled into making a life for yourself (I assume, maybe you're posting this from a mountain somewhere)

Very different in that you could choose to work more and ski less if financial need dictated.  These guys can't hold down a second job while playing MiLB.

As for your subsequent comments about skill and value, as well as Scotty's, the fact of the matter is that MLB all but has a monopoly and is exempt from antitrust laws.  They are taking full advantage of that exemption with their MiLB system

I don't see it that different.  When I was skiing I thought I had a shot to make a living.  Glen Plake, Scott Schmidt, and the like were role models.  They were making good money extreme skiing.  When I left the small ski area I grew up on and moved to the "big" area, I soon realized there were 20 other skiers at each resort just as good and better than me.  Taking tougher lines and bigger drops.  After three years, as fun as it was, it was obvious I had to fall back on plan B and all I was really doing was having fun.  Moved back to my hometown finished my degree and moved on to the real world.  

I see MiLB career very similar accept they pay you and feed you.  Players don't have to go to work after a day at the park to make rent, keep the lights on, and beer in the fridge.