Skip to main content

Reply to "How To Get By In The Minors On $1,500 A Month"

2017LHPscrewball posted:

Two jobs ago would mean at most three jobs. I don't know anyone that hasn't had at least three jobs unless daddy gave them their job. 

SCOTTY83 - Didn't mean to imply that you had numerous jobs, just that maybe you were talking about a job you had in 70's or 80's.  If I was one of those workers and saw a sea of 1,000 all working for minimum wage, and guessing the only promotion was to the job you held, I would have run away to somewhere else.  No shift supervisor making an extra 50 cents an hour?  No 25 cent bump after reaching 2-3 years?  Even McDonalds hands out regular raises and has a career path.  Would hate to think McDonalds was the premiere employer in town.

Laws and rules as currently interpreted allow MiLB to pay what it does (and I presume Indy league) - something to do with classifying the MiLB player as seasonal workers.  You can find all sorts of stories about guys getting stuck with others rent or having to pick and move and maybe end up paying rent in two places for a couple of months (assuming you don't stick it to your old roommates).  I would like to think MLB could pick up the tab and help with some of these type costs that can truly wipe out someone's budget through no fault of their own.  Might be nice to raise the minimum bar on clubhouse food (instead of what appears to be a wide variance in quality).  Could MLB not afford to fund the clubhouse budget outright and dispense with dues?

Hahaha not saying it wasn't a crap hole place to work. Like I said former job. Yes there were supervisors, process managers etc. my point was I knew over 1,000 people that made the same or less and unfortunately it was the top place to work. It's probably one of the poorest areas in the state. 

Now my job requires me to work a lot with social security recipients. You want to guess how may of them live off of less than 1500 a month. 

I have no problem with milb players making more. I think they should. I just don't care for the whining about it when plenty of people do it and it's the best option they have.