Skip to main content

Reply to "How To Get By In The Minors On $1,500 A Month"

2017LHPscrewball posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

Sorry people, but, it's simply survival of the fittest.  Those better adapted to living on $1500 a month will flourish.  Those ill adapted will attempt the get their parents to help them adapt.  And those that still can't adapt will perish.

its also supply and demand.  There is an endless supply of young, and not so young, men willing to try for the chance at the dream of MLB.  There is not an endless supply of programmers that are capable of making 6 figures.

$1,500/month for 12 months starting out would actually be a pretty good start.  Now try making it on $1,100 for 5, maybe six months, not having any real control over which city you play ball in, having to work through changes in living arrangements (still love to know how they manage deposits and utilities) and then presumably pack up and head "home" where maybe you can start maybe making some real money working weekends as a ref.

Egregious might be a little strong, but I'd much rather hear some MiLB player whine about living on $1,100/month (gross let's not even discuss deducts - almost like working/living in the old factory town and getting paid with company scrip) than I would some MLB player talking about their lower share of revenue anyday.  It's barely legal and it just doesn't feel right understanding the contribution to the bigger cause (i.e. MLB superstars or future stars) that these guys make.  Is it true that the single A clubby actually makes more than most of the players?

I look at it like this.  If you went fairly high in the draft then you have some savings. If you went fairly low in the draft you are there for the love of the game and would do it for no salary.