Skip to main content

Reply to "How To Get By In The Minors On $1,500 A Month"

CaCO3Girl posted:
Goosegg posted:

The real reason the salary is what it is has NOTHING to do with the players willing to take zero or a million (well, I guess, theoretically if EVERY player identified with a potential MLB tool decided not to play for the present salary, things would change. I guess that would be called a strike).

The reason the wages are what they are has to do with a system which is not subject to the laws of a free market.

Yes, you need to play baseball to even have a shot; but, unless you have that critical potential tool, You. Don't. Get. That. Shot - at any wage. (Although, MLB could create revenues by setting aside a couple of dozen slots in MILB and auction them off to the highest bidder regardless of potential). 

But you would agree there are over 6000 people in the minor leagues right now?

Would you agree there are over 750 people in MLB right now?

Would you agree there are about 7000 people with that "critical potential tool"?  Or are there really like 1000 people with the tool and 6000 people chasing the dream that won't ever happen because they are just there to play against the 1000 that are truly special?

I am going to take a shot, maybe a few hundred will actually stick.  

Each team has 40 men on their roster.  That means 15 are in AA or AAA. There are rules in place for call up and send back down. 

So if you are not on the roster, keep in mind that you have players in front of you. If you wannamake it to the big city you have to pray for everyone to get injured, or DFA.

Statistics given to me by sons agent, 4 years is the average time a player spends in ML.

I am not sure of your point but I tried.

Last edited by TPM