Skip to main content

Reply to "How To Get By In The Minors On $1,500 A Month"

CaCO3Girl posted:
TPM posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
Goosegg posted:

The real reason the salary is what it is has NOTHING to do with the players willing to take zero or a million (well, I guess, theoretically if EVERY player identified with a potential MLB tool decided not to play for the present salary, things would change. I guess that would be called a strike).

The reason the wages are what they are has to do with a system which is not subject to the laws of a free market.

Yes, you need to play baseball to even have a shot; but, unless you have that critical potential tool, You. Don't. Get. That. Shot - at any wage. (Although, MLB could create revenues by setting aside a couple of dozen slots in MILB and auction them off to the highest bidder regardless of potential). 

But you would agree there are over 6000 people in the minor leagues right now?

Would you agree there are over 750 people in MLB right now?

Would you agree there are about 7000 people with that "critical potential tool"?  Or are there really like 1000 people with the tool and 6000 people chasing the dream that won't ever happen because they are just there to play against the 1000 that are truly special?

I am going to take a shot, maybe a few hundred will actually stick.  

Each team has 40 men on their roster.  That means 15 are in AA or AAA. There are rules in place for call up and send back down. 

So if you are not on the roster, keep in mind that you have players in front of you. If you wanna ET to the big city you have to pray for everyone to get injured, or DFA.

Statistics given to me by sons agent, 4 years is the average time a player spends in ML.

I am not sure of your point but I tried.

My point was there are thousands of people on the MiLB praying for their shot.  There are thousands outside of MiLB praying for their shot.  Most are not actually going to make it and a fair many are there as bodies who can assist in the training of the people who will make it, and there is more behind them just hopping to be one of those bodies because "if they could just REALLY show what they could do" they would make it to MLB.

As far as MLB is concerned the supply is endless, so they don't have to make anything "fair".  People will still line up down the block, around the corner, and into the next county for "their shot".

You are correct. As long as the supply keeps flowing, salaries will remain as they are.

Just for the record, I never had a problem with the low wages, there were other concerns. I think the experience alone is the paycheck. Son is who he is because of his life experiences.

But I also believe having a plan B is very important.