Skip to main content

Reply to "How To Get By In The Minors On $1,500 A Month"

CaCO3Girl posted:
Truman posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
As far as MLB is concerned the supply is endless, so they don't have to make anything "fair".  People will still line up down the block, around the corner, and into the next county for "their shot".

I agree there is virtually an endless supply who'd line up and love to have such a shot at MLB, BUT. . . 

there simply isn't that many that are talented enough that the organizations would want.  All those that would line up, aren't wanted!  Therefore, what's the point?   It's not like the organizations want to take on unskilled people, like say the food industry does.  Those at the MiLB level, even the lower levels of it, are not as replaceable as you seem to suggest.  There's only a certain percentage of an age group that are capable.

Truman, are you saying there are people in the MiLB that aren't qualified to be there?

Pretty sure 6000+ people in the MiLB would make up my line and 6000 people likely looks like an endless supply to every MLB team. You could make the 30 MLB teams eight times over, even if you only consider 25 man roster, which many MiLB have more than 25.  244 MiLB teams, 30 MLB teams. 

While I do feel there are just a few each year of that 6000 that really aren't qualified (often seen as those released soon after their first year of rookie ball and even some that get in due to nepotism), but, no . . . I'm not referring to that 6000.  I'm referring the the hordes ready to line up to replace those 6000.