Skip to main content

Reply to "How To Get By In The Minors On $1,500 A Month"

Golfman25 posted:
2020dad posted:

Perhaps I should start a new thread regarding the low salaries of high school coaches!  Ever break that down as an hourly rate of pay?  Let's say you make $5000 as a head basketball coach. How many hours do you think that guy puts in for the 5k?  Well let's just start with 25 games. Gonna be at your JV game not just show up for varsity right?  It's a four or five hour night. Let's go low and say four. That's 100 hours. Now there is the bus ride there and back for road games. Add another 15 hours. 4 practices a week at 2 1/2 hours is 10 hours a week. Say 16 weeks. That's 160. Ever scout?  You betcha. Say even one game. Week, travel time and game 3 hours. 45 hours. Youth program?  Do you run a summer league?  Summer league games for sure. Open gyms?  Pre season conditioning?  In season weight program? Watching video?  Keeping stats?  Talking to local media, maybe doing the local cable show once or twice a season?  Dare I say it...  recruiting?  Meetings with disgruntled parents...  no i am not going to finish the calculations. It's well under minimum wage.  Why did we do it?  For the love of the game!  It's an honor to lead these kids program.  I never regretted a second of it. Cost many of us our marriages. A basketball coach who has the drive is seldom home.  Spring would be the one exception - then I coached baseball!  

In our district coaches's pay (and other extrcaricular pay) is part of the Union contract.  

Problem really is the MLB players union doesn't much care about the minor league playes.  Thus, they get what they get.  In a way the milb is a "fraud."  Most will not make it - but players do it, chasing some dream.  Certainly reasonable to pressure clubs to look at the rules.  

Has anyone read what I posted about how the NHLPA treats minor leaguers compared to the MLBPA?