Skip to main content

Reply to "How To Get Started With School Selection"

cabbagedad posted:

Hey Wildcat...  some great info so far... if you can share a bit more about your kid, we can probably offer up some additional advice with more specific direction that applies to him.  I think I read he was throwing about 80 as a freshman P, which is good but not yet a D1 magnet.  What are his other measurables/strengths?  Is he a power bat? Hit for average?  Did he play V and if so,how good is the HS level his school plays in?  Does he play travel and same question?  Does he have a major or career in mind yet?

You are on the right track with your thoughts that a typical HS sophomore won't be thinking of a college list with meaningful line items in proper sequence of priority and that it is most likely a player stays in his home state, so the best place to start drilling down.  I'll wait for your answers before offering up more.

He was clocked at 82 before the season began.  He has actually dropped from that a little over the course of the season, as he topped out at 79 at the most recent PG tournament he pitched in.  I'm hoping with a strong off season regimen he can reach 85-86 going into his Sophomore season.  I will have to wait and see.  

I don't have his other measurables.  I understand 80mph doesn't really catch anyone's attention so have been trying to be judicious with spending money.  He has not done any kind of showcase yet.  He also broke a couple of toes and had to have surgery last fall and was just getting back up to speed and hadn't played any baseball at all for 3 months last year when tryouts for the top Summer travel teams were going on so he didn't tryout.  I think he will just try to go with a local inexpensive team this fall and target the more competitive (and expensive) programs next summer as long as he progresses well enough to play there.  He played JV.  He hit .450 and was the #1P and #1 3B.  He hit cleanup but to call him a power bat would be a big stretch.  He can hit a ball about 340, and I'm well aware that's behind the curve for his age group's top players.  Major or career in mind?  He doesn't have a clue.