Skip to main content

Reply to "How to handle when the boy first discovers girls"

Very entertaining topic... 05 kid, On his way to a great life... Quite personality, 1300 SAT this past December,
HUGE expectations this upcoming Junior Year on Varsity with his team to finally compete for the post season title... He's going through the college baseball recruiting process as well...

But I know he has alot more workouts he must commit to/extra hours refining his game, before he'll be ready to play ball at next level...

Then this past August...

Along comes a cheerleader, definite high maintenance type... it was 5 to 7 days a week, "hanging out" 'as he calls it.. Had to lay down some ground rules after christmas break when mom and I realized this was a consistent reality in our son's life...

Limit him to 2 days a week face time, 2 hours max, during the school week.. the basic parenting stuff... it's been 7 months and counting for the 2 of them... He still gets his school work done but when he's done he's out the door on those 2 days,

They were on for 4 months, then one day said they both wanted to be friends, but she still kept calling him...
He has his buddies he runs with but whenever she calls he's there for her...

Dads, I recommend a daily "very casual" interaction... hows it going.. how's what's her name doing... it's funny how they never give you too much info.. so u gotta be suttle about it... you'll be able to sense how things are going... She comes from a family of career minded folks, her older sister completed college, he dad's a big shot with a gov't contractor... and his "friend" hit a 1250 SAT and has the college aspirations/goals herself.

Maybe he'll come home tomorrow and say they no longer are friends or maybe they'll keep going until after high school and into college... All you can do as a parent is be there and monitor what's happening... It's a delicate line you walk as you try to gather information... We all were young once and turned 18 and then were free to make our own decisions.
It's a prents worst nightmare to press too hard and they turn
18 and are out the door.. However, as adults we know relationships can come and go... You just gotta be there for your kids...

And finally why do i feel like i'm in an "Ann Landers" Twilight Zone Episode.. LOL... I was expecting to read comments about Harvards Upcoming Labor Baseball Day Camp! n e one have comments?