Skip to main content

Reply to "How to recover as a Catcher (sore knees)"

Originally Posted by RaiderCatcher:

Hey there I am an upcoming freshman with a very busy summer that is taking a toll on my knees and body. I am the starting catcher for my high school's JV summer team, and we play Thursday,Friday,Saturday, and Sunday each week. We also have Lifting followed by practice on Tuesdays. I also play football as a LineBacker and we have Lifting/Conditioning/Practice on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. This is very strainious on my knees. What can I do to get (and keep) them feeling fresh. Specificaly it is a dull ache right in the middle of both knees. They crack and pop as I squat and it is very painful. How do I fix this.

What position do you play for your HS JV team during in-season baseball?

Over the summer, catching four days in a row will takes it toll on any catcher.  Is there another catcher to rotate in?  Maybe you ask about getting some time at one of the corners.  In any event, you need to communicate honestly with your coaches about your aches and pains.  I know this is hard to do, but a good coach is not going to overload you with catching duties, especially if he knows you doing football as well, especially if it's your schools summer team and he has high hopes for you contributing during the spring season.  Good luck, and take care of those knees!