Skip to main content

Reply to "How to score an Error"

Originally Posted by bballman:

Yeah, I understand that, but usually, there is some kind of repercussion due to the error.  Either an extra out or runner advancing.  Seems like the only one in this case is an extra pitch, or a few extra pitches for the pitcher.  This error would have absolutely no effect on the scoring of the game if the batter never reached 1st AND no runners advanced.  It is what it is.

You’re correct that the error would have no effect on the scoring if the runner never reached. The guys who own the game and write the rules have decided that there are lots of reasons for errors. They didn’t do that because they wanted to have an effect on a pitcher’s ERA, but rather wanted to have an effect on his fielding percent, and there’s where the repercussion comes in.

The 1st rule change for errors occurred in 1883, ERA wasn’t computed until 1917, so its pretty likely errors weren’t thrown in there for any reason other than to gauge players’ fielding. In the decades after the rules called for certain percentages to be computed, its been found that there are much better metrics that are useful to the conduct and administration of the game, so its really doubtful there was any concern at all for ERA when they put this particular rule into effect.

It would be a whole lot easier on everyone if everyone used OBR with any modifications they felt were necessary, but very few organizations do! What they miss then, is when MLB changes something or clarifies something. I used to religiously follow the scoring rules for the venues I scored, but after 1 year of scoring HS games I pretty much gave up and now use OBR almost exclusively. I know if I use OBR, at least I’ll be scoring using the rules the entire game is based on.