Skip to main content

Reply to "How to see top level competition without the showcases?"

Hello All,

Thank you all of for the wonderful replies, this validates why I joined. To answer some of the questions posed about my son.

Here is the top 7 schools ( so far) we are thinking about/ looking at based on the schools reputation in the major. First and foremost, he will attend a school his is happy with, he can get into and excels in the academic major. Baseball will only tip the scales based on how much he might play.  For example, if the top academic choice will only play him 30%, but the 4th choice 100%, he will choose the 4th choice.  This is also very early in the planning of what school, I know it could change quite a bit. 

1) Purdue. 2) Ohio State. 3) Embry-Riddle. 4) San Jose State 5).Western Michigan 6).Arizona State 7) Central Washington University. 

As you can, very spread out across the country with varying divisions and baseball competition levels. 

My son has gone through a significant growth spurt in the last year and has put on about 15 lbs of muscle. I say this because we have tested his different metrics ( pop-time, exit velo, arm velo) lately. Planned to do it this spring. Not sure if he is a D1 prospect right now, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be as a senior. The goal is not to be committed to just any school, the goal is to be able to play at his preferred college. If he has the talent, he can accomplish this as a walk on. 

On the academics, he maintains his GPA in honors classes ( not AP yet) but heading that way. Honors meaning his GPA is weighted,so it is really more like a 4.25. Thank you for the tips on the Stanford or Cal camps, I had looked into this but glad to hear it open the right doors.

We have done one of the school specific camps as a freshman, but quickly learned that was much too early in his age and development. But I see the value and this is one of avenue. For the midwestern schools, he will need to narrow his interest list before we travel.

JCG- I know about NorCal and he has friends playing there. We are going to try out for their Top 100 program as well this year. Can you please tell me more about the Legion or Connie Mack programs?

All- can anyone tell me more about the Scout programs in Northern California?  Would you consider CBA or NorCal a scout program?