Skip to main content

Reply to "How to see top level competition without the showcases?"

FolsomBallDad posted:

Thank you all for you time in replying.  Yes my son wants to study aviation and be a commercial pilot after college. He doesn't harbor any fantasies about playing pro ball. With this attitude, we are looking at the best aviation colleges in the US first,  who also have a baseball team. I have talked with a catcher from Western Michigan and his teammate was in the aviation program and played all 4 years, so i believe my son can handle the workload. He currently excels in his STEM classes, so I don't think aviation will be too difficult for him.

Based on the information provided here, I have taken another look at some of our local programs that offer top level competition without too much travel. We will be signing up for the Arizona Junior Academic Game this fall as well. 

This HS season will be a good challenge for him to growth athletically and we are looking forward to it.

Thanks!!

That's awesome!  My guess is it would be much more difficult to play with that major at Purdue, OSU, ASU and San Jose State than the others and also, making it as a walk-on at those schools would very much be a long shot.  Not knowing the level of his baseball skills, I can otherwise give a big thumbs up to Embry-Riddle - we checked it out at one time and I have sort of followed.  Their Florida campus has a baseball program that is traditionally quite competitive in a very strong NAIA conference and several teammates would be in a similar major.  The Arizona campus is starting a new baseball program that starts play in 2021.  The conference they will be in is not strong.  They seem to have made a decent coach hire and I suspect it won't be long before they are competitive in that weaker conference but the baseball, at times, won't be very good.  

Also, those NAIA schools typically won't recruit hard until at least junior year so he would have time to develop.  As mentioned by others, the BigTen and Pac schools typically recruit far earlier, like now and possibly into next year.

Last edited by cabbagedad