Skip to main content

Reply to "How to show that you can hit, when you don't get pitched to?"

@Dominik85 posted:

Is he really seeing that few strikes? 0.5 swings per plate appearance is extremely few swings, in mlb the average is around 1.5 swings per plate appearance.

If you track his stats what is his percentage of called strikes?

In mlb about 1 in 6 pitches is a called strike. Is he seeing way fewer than that?

Be honest about that, sometimes those patient hitters actually take a lot of called strikes and then the parents say "he has a good eye so the ump must have betrayed them" which in some cases is right but in many cases the "way outside" pitch actually was more middle away and should have been hit.

So the interesting question is is he really not seeing strikes or is he making the pitcher throwing 2 or 3 pitches into the zone before he puts one in play?

If he sees one called strike in every PA correct call or not he probably is a bit too passive (in mlb there are about 0.6 called strikes per PA).

So if you track him next time also track his total number of called strikes. Don't worry about correct call or not, just take the overall number.

It is OK to occasionally take a called strike early in the count to get a better pitch but if he has more called strikes than plate appearances he probably is too passive

Agree with everything that you are saying and appreciate the input / context. 

I looked at the book we keep at the school games (mind you I don't think we've seen anything +85 yet) 

He's had 5 pitches called a strike that he took.

Game 1

AB1 - Called Strike, Double

AB2 - B/B/B//Foul Ball/B

AB3 - B/CS/B/B/B

AB4 - LO CF

AB5 - B/HBP

Game 2

AB1 - B/B/Triple

AB2 - B/B/B/B

AB3 - B/B/B/CS/B

AB4 - CS (curve) /B/B/B/CS (curve)/B

And yes, in the Sunday games he's going deep into the count and taking pitches that are probably "hittable", but not what he was looking for.

I'll have him look that your response.