Skip to main content

Reply to "How to tell coach/trainer im not playing for his team"

Midlo Dad posted:

I have to echo that.  If you are the guy who misses summer games for a vacation (that could have been missed or just moved into August), you are not really suited to college baseball.  Why are you even pursuing college baseball?  Do you really know what commitment that entails?  Or are you just doing it because your friends are all doing it and you think it's expected of you? 

These are serious questions because (a) college players don't miss games for vacations -- not in the fall, spring or summer; and (b) guys who want to become college players play until they get recruited, then continue to play even after committed so as to prepare to play in college, and they never miss games for other things because baseball is always their # 1 thing outside of the classroom.  (I might make an exception for a family wedding or funeral but it has to be something on that level, not something optional like a week at a beach house.)

As for tryouts, I don't think you have to go to any tryout for any team you don't want to be a part of.  If your coach calls you or sees you and asks why you weren't there, the answer is, you decided to go in a different direction.  Take care not to get sucked into an ongoing discussion that invites you to criticize him.  He may even ask for reasons but you should refrain from giving them.  It's sufficient to say, "I looked at all my options and felt this one was the best fit for what I want to get out of my fall ball experience."

You are not entitled, even if it seems like he's asking for it, to criticize your coaches or other elders to their faces.  (And behind their backs is not so good, either.)

You are, however, entitled to make your own life decisions and have adults respect the fact that, irrespective of how they feel about it, they are your decisions to make.

So if you say the above and he insists on knowing why, just say, "I really don't want to get into an argument," and try to put some distance between you so as to end the conversation.

Midlo Dad, I usually really enjoy reading your posts but I have to ask if you're having a bad day?

You said " If you are the guy who misses summer games for a vacation (that could have been missed or just moved into August), you are not really suited to college baseball. 

What the OP actually said "it was for missing a practice because I was on vacation and not poor performance) 

It was ONE practice.  As a mother with more than one child I can tell you, STUFF happens in a family and with other kids sports.  I would not in a million years leave my senior boy alone in my house while I was gone, LOL, NO WAY!  His parents may have insisted that this was a family event and he HAD to attend. 

Until he is out of the house and 18 let's not assume we know the circumstances that led to missing one practice OR question if the kid is suited to play College baseball.  By the way, High School juniors don't get to have number one priorities unless mom and dad say it can be a #1 priority.

Last edited by CaCO3Girl