Skip to main content

Reply to "How to tell coach/trainer im not playing for his team"

TPM posted:
2020dad posted:
Midlo Dad posted:

CACO3GIRL,

"Unacceptable" is probably too strong a word.  "Inappropriate" or "presumptuous" might fit better.

I don't think a parent should encourage or expect the player to renege on his commitment, much less pressure him to do so.  I don't think the parent should fight a turf battle with the coach, putting the player in the middle.  I think a player should know that he is not to walk into the coach's office and say how things will be; at most, he may go there to present a request for advance permission.  And I would suggest that the coach should respond by appreciating the position the parents have put the player into, and suggesting that the player find a third path.

I would add that a Legion team, like a travel/exposure team, has a very short season.  Any questions about the team's coaches' attitudes about missing practices or games should be inquired about prior to making the commitment to the roster.  Committing first, getting into the season, and then telling the coach you've decided not to be there one day is not appropriate.  Your options are to discuss arrangements in advance, or to accept that if the team won't accommodate you, your choices might be reduced down to either playing for that team and living with the restrictions or finding another team that will accommodate your priorities.

There are, after all, literally dozens of team options out there, and they all have different policies.  Find one that suits you; don't ask the one you choose to change mid-season to suit you.  If every parent did that, the team could not function.

I am pretty sure that if every player missed one practice per season the team would function swimmingly. 

That is my point, or maybe some of you missed that. He said mid season he lost his start, and the only thing he did was miss a practice that he told them about in advance.

Coaches dont take away starts if a player is performing as well as he said he was, there is more to this.

I dont really care for any post where the OP is putting blame on anyone for anything, 17 year olds, moms, dads, etc.

JMO

I think it's worth mentioning that while we on this board take baseball very seriously there are parents out there that think it is a recreational sport played for fun.  I can imagine there are very talented and dedicated players out there that have parents that would say "This is our family vacation and you aren't staying here to go to a practice, you are part of this family. You are leaving for college soon and this may be the last time we can go as a family."

I don't know how a child would get out of that one, and I am using the word child because while they will soon be out of their parents house they are not there yet. What kind of example does it set for younger siblings for the kid to make a stand and tell his parents no?  What pressure that puts on a young person, upset his coach or upset his family.

We always say baseball ends for everyone...maybe we should include "but family is forever"?