Skip to main content

Reply to ""How travel baseball has hurt player work ethic and attitude""

I have seen my fair share of different travel teams over the years traveling around and playing with a myriad of different talent and such. What I have generally noticed is that just like rec ball, travel teams have their certain kids who think they are "all that" and believe that they don't really have to work at it. Usually, it is the parents that brainwash their kids into believeing they are the next Jeter and some think that it just comes "naturally" and don't really have to work at it.

But, I disagree with the general attitude of the article posted. Travel ball is competetive. All too often the coaches are more concerned with getting their kids playing spots and time and winning at any cost besides their own kid. Moving from one travel team to another is about finding the right fit with players, talent level, and coaching. I have moved my kid from 2 separate travel teams because of bad coaching and lack of incentive to be better by the players in general. When i moved son off one team I told the coach why and how we wanted to find a team a little more committed. He agreed and we parted under good terms.

My son played rec ball up through his 12th year. It finally got to the point where it was not a good situation because the talent was just not there and it was hurting his ability to play and compete and saty on the cutting edge. Seeing pitcher after pitcher who posed no challenge to son got him into the habit of playing too lazy. He also played travel ball during those years. We finally moved just to travel ball and he has excelled there. I also believe it is the sole reason why he made the varsity team as a freshman and is a regualar everyday starter. Thanks all to travel ball!