Skip to main content

Reply to "How Useful are Rankings"

Radioball,
There are actually multiple influences to this draft ranking accuracy. While you could say PG missed on a particular player because he wasn't drafted in the top ten as projected --- I could say MLB missed on the same player because he wasn't drafted in the top ten rounds. Understand too that all players have a say so in whether they are drafted or not. PG may have them projected in round six and the MLB club want them in round six but the player has said if I falls past round five don't draft me. The higher rounds are very dependent or a players desire to play at the next level. Clubs don't throw money at players in the higher rounds trying to change their minds so many player that COULD go in the higher rounds will pass. Too many influences to pinpoint where the "glitch" is.
Fungo

PS: I can remeber "drafting" players when I coached dixie youth baseball. While the top players were very easy to rank the weaker players were much harder to evaluate. Many times it came down to how good looking the player's mother was or if the player had a new bat he could share. Big Grin